From the very first Nancy’s quiche lorraine I had with my mother, I don’t think I’ve ever met a quiche I didn’t like. Over the years the Broccoli Cheese Quiche has become a quick go to breakfast menu item I always keep in my back pocket. And what’s the best part about part about quiche? Once you’ve mastered one, you’ve mastered them all! Just sub out what you don’t like for what you do!
Now that I’ve nursed this recipe for a little while, I want to make a couple notes…
Texture- I like my quiche pretty chunky so the egg to filling ratio in this recipe is pretty equal. If you’re into more eggs than “treats”, I would recommend reducing the broccoli (or whatever vegetable you choose) by half a cup, and using 1 1/2 cups milk instead.
Seasoning- I have absolutely done this recipe with strictly salt and pepper and it’s turned out fine. While I do think eggs are the perfect food to sneak in a little turmeric, one could certainly live without the mustard or red pepper flakes.
Whites- Incorporating egg whites is a great way to make the quiche a little lighter. Just substitute 1/4 cups of whites for every egg!
B R O C C O L I, C H E E S E, A N D B A C O N Q U I C H E
5 Strips Bacon
2 Cups broccoli
1 Cup shredded cheese
1 Cup milk (I used 1% )
1/8 Teaspoon turmeric
1/4 Teaspoon mustard
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon black pepper
1/8 Teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Fry 5 strips of bacon in a skillet on medium high. Once cooked, remove the strips of bacon and place on a paper towel but DO NOT wash the pan. Once stiff, chop/crumble bacon strips into medium sized pieces. Place crumbles in the empty pie shell.
- In the same skillet, add chopped onion and frozen broccoli, lightly seasoning with a pinch of salt and pepper (there should already be plenty of flavor from the bacon grease). Note: If your broccoli pieces are huge, go ahead and chop them up before you add them to the pan.
- Remove broccoli and onion from the pan and add this to the pie shell with 1/2 cup of cheese. Spread the veggies, cheese and bacon around in the shell.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper, mustard, turmeric, and pepper flakes. Pour this mixture into the pie pan with your other ingredients.
- Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese over the eggs. Place the quiche into the oven and cook for 45 minutes. Note: should you reheat this in the oven (instead of the microwave), be sure to cover the crust with strips of foil so that it doesn’t get too crispy.